"Lake Superior State University's Sport and Recreation Management program is second to none!", says Justin Andre, Director of Hanson Hills Recreation Area, in scenic Grayling, Michigan.
Faculty: 111 full-time faculty
Class size: 70% have fewer than 30 students.
Student/faculty ratio: 17:1
Where we're from: 68% Michigan residents. 15% Ontario residents, 17% out-of-state.
Study abroad: Available anywhere in the world.
Student organizations: More than 60, including a free-format student-run radio station (WLSO 90.1 FM).
Residence halls: Living options include traditional residence halls, suites, furnished apartments, two-story
furnished townhouses, and historic houses. High-Speed Internet is provided in each unit.
Academic calendar: Semester system; fall and spring. Summer session; May, June and July.
Financial aid: More than 83% of LSSU students receive assistance.
Placement: 86% of graduates have obtained a job or have been accepted to graduate school within 180 days. 100% placement for engineering and nursing majors.
Welcome Future Laker Parents!
Books and Guides
Here is a list of books and guides that can be helpful, especially during this time of your life.
Note: This list is by no means comprehensive nor does it suggest that the items included are recommended or endorsed by LSSU.
- A New Chapter: How Parents Fit Into Their Students’ Lives at College, 8-page pamphlet published by PaperClip Communications
- 133 Ways to Avoid Going Cuckoo When the Kids Fly the Nest: A Parent’s Guide for Surviving the Empty Nest Syndrome, Lauren Schaffer and Sandy Fleischl Wasserman (2001)
- Almost Grown: Launching Your Child from High School to College, 2 nd Ed., Patricia Pasick (1998)
- Becoming a Wise Parent for Your Grown Child: How to Give Love and Support Without Meddling, Ph.D. Betty Frain and Eileen M. Clegg (1997)
- Caring for the Mind: The Comprehensive Guide to Mental Health, Dianne Hales and Robert E. Hales (1995)
- The College Parent's Guide To Savings...Of Time, Money & Aggravation, Elaine Cloonan Osmanski (2000)
- Don’t Tell Me What to Do, Just Send Money: The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years, Helen E. Johnson and Christine Schelhas-Miller (2000)
- Empty Nest…Full Heart: The Journey from Home to College, Andrea Van Steenhouse (2002)
- Empty-Nest Parenting: Adjusting Your Stewardship As Your Children Leave Home, Richard M. Eyre, Linda Eyre and Saren Eyre Loosli (2002)
- The Empty Nest: When Children Leave Home, Shelley Bovey (1995)
- Give Them Wings, Carol Kuykendall (1998)
- Helping Your First-Year College Student Succeed: A Guide for Parents, Richard H. Mullendore (2000, out of print, limited availability)
- How to Survive and Thrive in an Empty Nest: Reclaiming Your Life When Your Children Have Grown, Jeanette Lauer, Robert Lauer and Robert H. Lauer (1999)
- In Addition to Tuition: The Parents' Survival Guide to Freshman Year of College, Marian Edelman Borden, Mary Anne Burlinson, and Elsie R. Kearns (1995)
- The Launching Years: Strategies for Parenting from Senior to College Life, Laura Kastner and Jennifer Fugett Wyatt (2002)
- Let the Journey Begin: A Parent’s Monthly Guide to the College Experience, Jacqueline MacKay and Wanda Ingram (2001)
- Letting Go: A Parents’ Guide to Understanding the College Years, 4 th Ed., Karen Levin Coburn and Madge Lawrence Treeger (2003)
- A New Beginning: A Survival Guide for Parents of College Freshmen, Kaye Bernard and M.Ed McGarry (2001)
- Parenting Your Adult Child: How You Can Help Them Achieve Their Full Potential, Ross Campbell, Gary Chapman and Gary D. Chapman (1999)
- She’s Leaving Home: Letting Go As Daughter Goes to College, Connie Jones (2002)
- Smart-Start: A Survival Guide for First Year College Students (and Their Parents, Too), CD-ROM by College Survival Guides (2004)
- The Ultimate College Survival Guide, Janet Farrar Worthington and Ronald T. Farrar (1998)
- When Kids Go to College: A Parents Guide to Changing Relationships, Barbara M. Newman and Philip R. Newman (1992)
- When Your Kid Goes to College; A Parent's Survival Guide, Carol Barkin (1999)
- You're on Your Own (But I'm Here if You Need Me): Mentoring your Child During the College Years, Marjorie Savage (2003)
Books for Parents to Give to Their Students
- As You Leave Home: Parting Thoughts from a Loving Parent, Jerry B. Jenkins (1998)
- Beating the College Blues, Paul Grayson, Paul A. Grayson, Phil Meilman and Philip W. Meilman (1999)
- Been There, Should've Done That II : More Tips for Making the Most of College, Suzette Tyler (2001)
- College 101 : The Book Your College Does Not Want You To Read, Guy Stevens and Frank Halub (Illustrator) (1998)
- College Rules!: How to Study, Survive and Succeed in College, Sherrie L. Nist, Jodi Patrick Holschuh and Sherrie Nist (2002)
- Confessions of a College Freshman: A Survival Guide for Dorm Life, Biology Lab, the Cafeteria, and Other First-Year Adventures, Zach Arrington (2001)
- The Everything College Survival Book; From Social Life to Study Skills-Everything You Need To Know To Fit Right In-Before You're a Senior!, Jason Rich (1997)
- Getting Ready for College : Everything You Need to Know Before You GoFrom Bike Locks to Laundry Baskets, Financial Aid to Health Care, Polly Berent and The Princeton Review (2003)
- How to Survive Your Freshman Year (Hundreds of Heads Survival Guide), Hundreds of Heads (Editor) (2004)
- Navigating Your Freshman Year (Students Helping Students series), Allison Lombardo (2003)
- The Naked Roommate: And 107 Other Issues You Might Run Into in College, Harlan Cohen (2005)
- The Real Freshman Handbook: A Totally Honest Guide to Life on Campus, Jennifer Hanson (2002)
- Where's Dad Now That I Need Him, Kent P. Frandsen (2003)
- Where's Mom Now That I Need Her: Surviving Away from Home, Kathryn J. Frandsen, Kent P. Frandsen and Betty Rae Frandsen (2003)
1st Place with ROV
Lake Superior State University
One of only two teams to complete the event. Others in the group of 11 participants included: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Arizona, Monterey Peninsula College, Cape Fear Community College of Wilmington-North Carolina
2003 Marine Advanced Technology Center (MATE), Remotely Operated Vehicle Competition
Open All-Around Champion
June 14, 2003
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)