Literature: Bachelor of Arts
This program promotes a well-rounded study of literary texts across mulitiple genres and media in keeping with current scholarship and research in the field of English while honing skills significant to effective writing, critical thinking, and textual analysis.
Opportunities for publishing and editing are available through work on the literary journal, and the student-edited journal, or the monthly magazine.
In addition to the courses listed below, students must complete all general education requirements, two years of a foreign language other than modern English, and a minor.
Required Courses (45 credits)
- COMM307 Classical/Contemporary Rhetoric 3
- ENGL180 Introduction to Literary Studies 3
- ENGL221 Introduction to Creative Writing 3
- ENGL231 American Literature I 3
- ENGL232 American Literature II 3
- ENGL233 English Literature I 3
- ENGL234 English Literature II 3
- ENGL340 Genre Studies 3
- ENGL404 Literature Before 1800 (Topic) 3
- ENGL408 Literature After 1800 (Topic) 3
- ENGL420 History of the English Language 3
- ENGL421 History of Literary Criticism 3
- ENGL490 Senior Thesis 3
Select one from: 3
Select one from: 3
- THEA251 History of Drama and Theatre I 3
- THEA252 History of Drama and Theatre II 3
- THEA309 Speech and Drama Productions 3
- THEA333 Studies in the Drama: The Genre and Theater in Context 3
Foreign Language (14-16 credits)
General Education (36-42 credits)
- ENGL110 First-Year Composition I 3
- ENGL111 First-Year Composition II 3
- COMM101 Fund. of Speech Communication 3
- HUMN251 Humanities I 4
- HUMN Electives 3-4
- Social Science Electives 6-8
- Natural Science Electives 8
- Math Elective 3-5
- Diversity Elective 3-4
Minor (minimum 20 credits)
Electives to total 124 credits
Bachelor of Arts Degree Notes (if applicable): One year (8 credits) of a modern language other than English. If taken at LSSU, this would be: CHIN151-152, FREN151-152 or 251-252, GRMN141-142 or 241-242, NATV141-142 or 201-202, or SPAN161-162.
One-half year of two different languages will not meet this requirement.
Bachelor of Science Degree Notes (if applicable): At least eight (8) semester credits in addition to courses used for general education requirements from categories of social science, natural science, computer science or mathematics.
These bachelor of science degree requirements can be used for majors or minors, but not general education.