Criminal Justice-Criminalistics: Bachelor of Science
This emphasis is designed for students preparing for professional positions with state, federal or private crime labs. This emphasis provides the student with the knowledge and skills needed to be a field investigator/re-constructionist or a lab technician. This emphasis incorporates courses from criminal justice and chemistry to achieve the needed education. This emphasis allows students to obtain a chemistry minor as part of their degree. This emphasis also includes all of the required courses to allow students to attend the LSSU Skills Completion Academy which in combination allows students to be licensed by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES). Students who graduate from this program and successfully complete the State Licensing exam are qualified for direct placement in Michigan police agencies. Many out of state agencies also recognize the MCOLES academy training.
Major Requirements (38 credits)
- CJUS101 Intro. to Criminal Justice 3
- CJUS102 Police Process 3
- CJUS197 Physical Fitness for Public Safety* 2
- CJUS201 Firearms Training 1
- CJUS243 Investigation 3
- CJUS313 Crisis Intervention and Deviant Behavior** 3
- CJUS319 Substantive Criminal Law 3
- CJUS321 Ethical Issues in Public Safety 3
- CJUS401 Senior Seminar 3
- CJUS402 Criminal Justice Internship 3-9
- CJUS409 Procedural Criminal Law 3
- CJUS444 Criminalistics 4
Statistics: Choose one of the following:
- BUSN211 Business Statistics 3
- CJUS345 Statistics and Design for Public Safety 4
- MATH207 Principles of Statistical Methods 3
- POLI211 Political Science Research and Statistics 4
- PSYC210 Statistics 3
- SOCY302 Statistics for Social Science 4
Support Courses (72 credits)
- BIOL131 General Biology: Cells 4
- BIOL132 General Biology: Organisms 4
- CHEM115 General Chemistry I 5
- CHEM116 General Chemistry II 4
- CHEM225 Organic Chemistry I 4
- CHEM226 Organic Chemistry II 4
- CHEM231 Quantitative Analysis 4
- CHEM332 Instrumental Analysis 4
- CHEM451 Introductory Biochemistry 4
- EMED190 Prehospital Emergency Care & Crisis Intervention I 4
- EMED191 Prehospital Emergency Care & Crisis Intervention II 4
- MATH111 College Algebra 3
- MATH112 Calculus for Business & Life Sciences*** 4
- NSCI101 Conceptual Physics 3
- POLI110 Intro. to American Government and Politics 4
- PSYC101 Intro. to Psychology 4
- PSYC259 Abnormal Psychology 3
- SOCY214 Criminology 3
- Approved Diversity Course 3
**MCOLES students must take CJUS411 Police Operations (5) instead of CJUS313 (3).
Canadian students may substitute POLI160 for POLI110.
Canadian students do not take CJUS197, EMED190 or EMED191. These are replaced by advisor-approved electives. Canadian students may substitute CJUS202 and CJUS406 for CJUS319 and CJUS409.
General Education: All LSSU bachelor's degree candidates must complete the LSSU general education core requirements, or have earned the MACRAO Stamp (Michigan Community College transfer students), or have completed the general education certification (Sault College transfer students), or have already earned a bachelor's degree (honors bachelor degree from a Canadian University).
A minimum of 124 credits (at the 100 level or higher) must be earned for graduation with a cumulative gpa of 2.00 or higher. A gpa of 2.00 or higher is also required in your Major, as well as in your General Education Core Requirements.