This degree prepares you for entry-level positions in the health and fitness industry. Specific course work and experiences prepare you to be certified by the American College of Sports Medicine as an Exercise LeaderSM or Health/Fitness Instructor. Students develop fitness assessment skills with current technologies employed for anthropometric, cardiovascular and metabolic functioning.
Program Requirements (33 credits)
- EXER105 Program Development and Leadership in Recreation and Leisure Services 3
- EXER140 Health Fitness 3
- EXER141 Introduction to Movement 3
- EXER230 Athletic Training I 3
- EXER248 Psychology of Sport and Performance and Coaching 3
- EXER262 Exercise Physiology I 3
- EXER265 Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning 3
- EXER268 Fitness Evaluation I: Field Tests 2
- EXER275 Nutrition for Sport and Exercise Performance 2
- EXER295 Practicum 2
- EXER Program Electives 6
Cognate Requirements (18-20 credits)
- BIOL121 Human Anatomy & Physiology I 4
- BIOL122 Human Anatomy & Physiology II 4
- CHEM104 Life Chemistry 3
- CHEM115 General Chemistry I 5
- MATH111 College Algebra 3
- PSYC101 Introduction to Psychology 4
General Education: All LSSU Associate’s degree candidates must complete the LSSU general education core requirements, or have earned the MACRAO Stamp (Michigan Community College transfer students), or have completed the general education certification (Sault College transfer students).
A minimum of 63 credits (at the 100 level or higher) must be earned for graduation with a cumulative gpa of 2.00 or higher. A gpa of 2.00 or higher is also required in your Major, as well as in your General Education Core Requirements.