Lake Superior State University
Lake Superior State University
Related Sites


Alum Success

Rachael graduated from Novi High School in Novi, Michigan. Rachael completed their senior research project by developing a method of detecting blastomyces dermatitidis in soil using PCR. This study lays the foundation for further studying blastomyces dermatitidis in soil samples from endemic regions in northern Michigan. Rachael is a member of the Alpha Chi Honor Society. Rachael recently was selected to go to MSU to train in qPCR techniques and assisted in their cow bacteroides project. Rachael plans to attend graduate school in the future to study biochemistry.

Rachael Cunningham
2010 Outstanding Graduate
Forensic Chemistry

Department of Environmental Sciences


Academic Advisors are a great resource and should be utilized early and often in your academic career. Ultimately, it is your responsibility, not your advisors, to ensure that all courses have been taken so that you may graduate in a timely manner from LSSU. By working closely with your academic advisor, potential scheduling and graduation pitfalls can be kept to a minimum.

Prior to each semester registration, you will need to meet with your academic advisor. If you don't know who this is, simply go to your My.LSSU account and under student information, your advisor will be listed. Prior to visiting your advisor, print a degree audit sheet for your current degree or the degree you might be interested in persuing. If you have taken classes at LSSU, or have transfer/AP credits on your transcript, fill these in on your degree audit.


Registration Dates

  • 1st week of November for the Spring Semester
  • Last week of March for Fall/Summer Semester

More information

Registration Instructions

Registration for courses is performed by you, the student. Upon meeting with your advisor, you will need to do the following:

  1. Ensure that your "Web Advisor Hold" has been removed by your advisor after you have met with him/her. This hold is in place to ensure that you meet with your advisor prior to registration. This type of hold is different from other holds such as unpaid parking tickets, tuition holds, etc. If any of these other types of holds are placed on your account, go to the Fletcher Center and inquire about the hold. To register, no holds may be on your account.
  2. View the Tentative Course schedule in Anchor Access for the upcoming semester and lay out your proposed schedule. Download the blank weekly schedule to assist in planning your semester.
  3. On the day that you are allowed to register (i.e. 1st- Seniors and Athletes, 2nd Juniors, 3rd Sophomores, 4th Freshman, 5th New Students) log onto Anchor Access to register for your classes. Do this ASAP so that you will ensure that the lab classes you might need do not fill up and restrict your scheduling options.
  4. If a course you want to register for will not allow you to do so (for reasons such as, insufficient course pre-requisites, times overlap, course enrollment is full, etc.), you may request an “Instructor Override”. These overrides are only granted by the instructor scheduled to teach the class and are granted only in extreme cases. Course pre-requisites are in place for very good reasons. Do not expect an override to be granted because you have not planned your course sequence for your degree properly. If an instructor is listed as TBA, you may make a request for an instructor override to the School Chair or College Dean.

Course Substitution/Waiver Form

From time to time, courses for a particular degree may need to be either substituted with an alternative course or waived from the degree audit. The University is required to keep detailed records of any variations from the approved degree audits. There is a special carbon copy form used to make such changes called a "Course Substitution/Waiver Form". These can only be obtained filled out by an academic advisor in your discipline, the Chair of your discipline, or the Dean that oversees your discipline. You may not simply fill out one of these forms yourself and turn it into the registrar. Once this form has been filled out and submitted you will receive a copy for your records. Keep this copy for future reference when you submit your application for graduation to the Registrar.

Change Major/Minor/Advisor Form

If you wish to change your degree program, major, associates, or minor, a form called the "Change Major/Minor/Advisor Form" can be used. This form can be obtained from the College secretary in room 236 of Crawford Hall or from the Registrar. Bring this form to an academic advisor in the new discipline you wish to study to have them sign the form. If they are willing to be your new academic advisor, they may place their name on the form. You can check what your current major, minor, and advisor is by going to your My.LSSU account under student information.

Application for Graduation

In the Semester before you plan to graduate, the Registrar will send notification that you must submit an "Application for Graduation." This application includes a signed form indicating your intent to graduate in a particular semester, along with a signed audit sheet, signed by your academic advisor. This application is submitted to the Registrar in the Fletcher center, who will then issue a preliminary evaluation of your application. You will be notified if additional coursework is required to complete your degree. Do not wait until the semester of your graduation to submit this form. If you wait too long, you may need to take additional courses that you may not be expecting which could delay your graduation. Working closely with your academic advisor will hopefully minimize these issues.

Got plans for summer? Now is the time to plan for a summer internship or research experiences available near or far. You can earn credit for summer work through the internship program, gain valuable experience in a job related to your career, and gather the data you need for your senior seminar project - all during a summer or two of work. See you advisor or search online for opportunities in your areas of interest.

Alternate Year Courses: some courses are offered every other year and your advisor will work out a plan to be sure you are in the right courses at the right time. Watch for these courses that we plan to offer next year, and check which ones are required in your major.

WHO IS MY ADVISOR? Been wondering who to see for academic advising. The College office in CRW236 has a list. Any of us in the department are anxious to assist you with academic advising, to engage in discussions regarding career options in industry, graduate school or professional school. Just stop by the office and we can talk



Alternative Management of Anaerobic Landfill Bioreactors for Improved Energy Potential

Josh Kuzimski

Converting municipal solid waste to usable energy is an emergent and growing method for modern waste management. Through microbial facilitation of methanogenesis, methane gas can be extracted from landfill bioreactors to yield a significant amount of usable energy. The hypothesis was that a sufficient addition of sodium acetate to a controlled bioreactor environment would promote larger growth of methanogenic microbes and subsequently promote a greater amount of methane relative to a control (Madigan et al, 2003). In order to simulate an anaerobic bioreactor environment, the method for the study took place in modular sections to cover the design, construction and operation of laboratory scale bioreactors. Upon completion of bioreactor engineering, the biological and chemical components were scrutinized to match ideal conditions of a landfill. Methanosarcina was the chosen genus of the methanogen family to seed the bioreactors, and a total elemental analysis of the waste source was analyzed to approximate methane yield. Over 557 hours, each bioreactor produced approximately 1.3 liters of biogas with less than 1% containing methane. Given analysis through gas chromatography, the bioreactors may have had stunted methane production do to presence of argon gas in the headspace and/or low C/N ratio of the waste. The presence of argon should have been replaced with nitrogen, and the waste source should have contained more carbon per nitrogen. The generation-3 design of constructed bioreactors was successful in containing all gasses, liquids, and solids internally, however did not produce enough methane biogas to accept or reject the hypothesis.

Apply Today!

Share this page with your friends: