Financial Aid Office
2012 - 2013 Incoming Freshman Scholarships (In-State)
Scholarship criteria is reviewed
each year and subject to change.
Scholarships are described here as
awarded for 2012-13.
Eligibility is automatically evaluated
by the Financial Aid Office for
all students admitted by March 1st
for the following academic year.
All recipients in this section are
selected by the Financial Aid Committee
and may choose any degree
curriculum offered by the University.
Students must be U.S. citizens
and current graduates of an accredited
Michigan high school.
Scholarships are awarded based
on a point scale that is approved
annually by the Financial Aid Committee.
Fifty percent weight is given
to the overall high school GPA and
50 percent is based on the highest
ACT composite score received by
All renewable scholarships are
based on the recipient meeting the
University’s scholarship renewal
Laker Gold Scholarship
- Value: Full tuition up to 17 credits per semester, inclusive of other LSSU awards, renewable. Up to three scholarships will be awarded each year through the Laker Gold Competition.
- Criteria: must meet Board of Trustees Distinguished Scholarship criteria, must have applied for admission no later than December 1st of senior year of high school, must be invited to attend annual competition and respond by invitation due date.
Board of Trustees Distinguished
- Value: up to $8,000 per year ($5,000 +
$3,000 if Room & Board)— renewable
- Criteria: merit based; Michigan
resident; minimum points 186
(example: 3.80 GPA and 28
Board of Trustees Academic
- Value: up to $5,000 per year ($3,000 +
$2,000 if Room & Board)— renewable
- Criteria: merit based; Michigan resident;
161.5-185.99 points (example:
3.50 GPA and 24 ACT)
Board of Trustees Academic Recognition Scholarship
- Value: up to $3,000 per year ($2,000 + $1,000 if Room & Board)— renewable
- Criteria: merit based; Michigan resident; 137.5-161.49 points (example: 3.30 GPA and 21 ACT)
Note: Students must have at least a 3.0 GPA and a 19 ACT to be considered for a Michigan Freshman Scholarship.