Lake State Student Philanthropy Council
Facts about LSSU Philanthropy
Did you know?
- $2,099,983 has been donated in the last five years to support student scholarships. This is money donated by people who may never know the recipient of their generosity.
- Last year over 1,600 donors gave over $1,363,177.19 to support your education.
- A generous donor has offered to match dollar for dollar, up to $250,000, to advance the Lake State Division 1 hockey program.
- Student organizations are involved in student philanthropy all year long
- One third (this is above the national average) of all LSSU employees donate to your education. And, on average, their annual donation exceeds $440 per employee. Their generosity supports scholarships, research grants, department activities, athletics, the library, Mom-in-a-Bag, and the list goes on.
- LSSU is a not-for-profit. LSSU is not in business to make money. Any “surplus” funding LSSU might generate or receive is used to benefit the student body.
- LSSU is a state-assisted school. We receive funding from the State of Michigan. However, that funding has declined. No longer is the cost of obtaining a college education funded primarily by state funding.
- The LSSU Foundation is in the middle of a capital campaign to raise $3 million for a matching grant to renovate South Hall. In total renovation will be $12 million.
So, when you hear that Philanthropy is a proud Laker tradition, and that every gift counts – IT’S TRUE.
Lakers involved in philanthropy
Students involved in philanthropy is nothing new at LSSU. Lakers have a proud tradition
of helping numerous community initiatives.
With such an engaged and caring student body,
we are sure Lakers will embrace this new initiative – Lakers caring for Lakers.
One generation plants the tree…. Another gets the shade.
~ Chinese Proverb