Department of Information Technology
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit Google Apps Help Center for a comprehensive listing of help related topics
How do I access Google Apps?
- You can access it directly at: http://google.com/a/lssu.edu
- Type in your userid and password (we will provide you the initial password after your account has been migrated)
- You will eventually be able to access Google Apps directly through the portal at my.lssu.edu. Google Apps will replace the current email channel.
Why can't I access Google Apps through google.com?
You can access your non-work related gmail account through google.com. But work related gmail can be accessed currently only through http://google.com/a/lssu.edu
Is my email address going to change after my email account has been migrated over to Google Apps?
Your email address will not change. It will continue to be the same.
What is the difference between Google Apps and Gmail accounts?
While Google Apps Email is very similar to Gmail in most ways, there are a few key differences between the two services:
- Google Apps email addresses are issued by an IT admin, not created by individual users. They use the format 'username@your_domain.com' rather than 'firstname.lastname@example.org.' There is no change in your email address.
- The Gmail password reset flow doesn't apply to Google Apps accounts. If you forget your Google Apps password, please contact the Helpdesk at x6677.
- When setting up IMAP access to your Google Apps mail account, make sure to enter your full email address whenever you're asked for your username or address. However, make sure to use the recommended servers, which include the domain 'gmail.com.'
- If you have a question about your Google Apps account, you can contact the Helpdesk at x6677.
Mission: “The Department of Information Technology supports and upholds the mission of Lake Superior State University through the efficient use of technology in support of the campus community.”
Lake Superior State University · IT Department
http://www.lssu.edu/it · (906) 635-6677 · email@example.com