"Lake Superior State University's Sport and Recreation Management program is second to none!", says Justin Andre, Director of Hanson Hills Recreation Area, in scenic Grayling, Michigan.
Parents at Lake State
April is National Humor Month
Calling all April Fools! It’s National Humor Month—a time for joking, joshing and just plain laughing out loud. And while, yes, April can be a stressful month, a dose of humor may be just what your student needs to make it through.
Here are a few ways to share the mirth:
- Send along a “Chuckle Chow” care package. It can include anything funny like a Snickers (tee-hee!) bar, those smiling Oreos, Laffy Taffy, smiley lollipops and more. Feed their laughter while also providing fun treats!
- Stick a book of Mad Libs or a goofy joke book in an envelope and send it along. Cover the envelope with smiley face stickers for a real Humor Month package.
- Sign emails with funny wordplays such as “Jest thinking of you!” or “Hope you get some smileage out of this.” Your student will think you’re a cornball yet she’ll probably love it!
- Suggest to your student that you think about some creative, funny ways to respond to people’s polite question: “How are you?” Answer them with something like “If I was any better, I’d be twins!”
- At your next family gathering, firehouse, PTA or Junior League meeting, ask group members to pose for a photo. The catch? Have everyone wear a bright red clown nose! Then, send a digital photo to your student. He’ll think you’re all off your rocker! Yet, chances are that he’ll show that photo to his friends, proudly.
- Trace a roll of masking tape on bright yellow paper and cut out a bunch of smiley faces. Have everyone in the family—or in the neighborhood—write a joke or note on the back of a smiley. Then send an envelope full of the good feelings to your student at school. It’s a Smile Attack!
Have fun with the funny stuff!
A few sites to tickle your funny bone…
The Humor Project
This international humor clearinghouse offers:
- Daily Laffirmations
- books, videos and other mirthful resources
- interviews with famous funny folks
The founder of National Humor Month offers:
- a joke of the day
- a test your funny bone quiz
- National Humor Month info and posters
- tips on how to use humor to relieve stress
Fill empty medicine containers with jokes written on pill-shaped pieces of paper. Send them to your student to take one joke whenever they are feeling sad or upset. But they don’t have to call you in the morning!
"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."
~ Mark Twain