Lake Superior State University
Lake Superior State University
 
Related Sites

 

Alum Success

Ben Mitchell

Ben Mitchell
Mechanical Engineering '06

Ben Mitchell grew up in a devout household in the central Upper Peninsula of Michigan where emphasis was placed on helping others. He traveled with his father to places such as Kenya and Peru on short-term medical missions. When he was in Kenya, a missionary explained that engineers have the greatest potential to influence the largest number of people. During high school, Ben participated in a youth mission trip to Tijuana. A result of the mission trips, his family decided to adopt three Vietnamese children when he was a junior.

All of these experiences had a great influence on Ben’s outlook on life. He decided to major in mechanical engineering and enrolled at Lake Superior State University. Near the end of his senior year, he decided to volunteer for the Peace Corps to help others.

His two-year commitment began in the fall of 2007 and took Ben to Burkina Faso in western Africa. He resides in the village of Tansila, population 3,000, approximately 10 km from the Mali border. His host organization is the local cotton growers union. It works cooperatively with other villages to improve and expand their production techniques. He serves as an agribusiness advisor as a part of the Small Enterprise Development program which helps create market linkages and assists with the advancement of business skills.

March 1, 1944

Fort Brady reclassified as a class I installation from class II.

April 5, 1944

Fort Brady declared a surplus fort.

August 31, 1944

Hospital facilities are outleased to the State of Michigan.

November 25, 1944

Fort Brady placed in Inactive Status.

Troops Shipped Out

In the latter part of 1945 troops were moved out from the fort, causing a drastic decline of the Sault Ste. Marie population. The locks and canal were now under the protection of the National Guard, activated in the Sault in 1894.

Fort Brady Sold for School Use

After the Mexican War the Michigan National Guard joined Wisconsin to form the Thirty-Second Division (the Red Arrow,) one of the great fighting divisions of World War II. After the National Guard returned, the Fort was sold to the State of Michigan for the Mining and Technology College in 1946.

In 1966 the school became the site of Lake Superior State College of Michigan Technological University. The college became a separate entity in 1970 and received university status in 1987, at which time Lake Superior State University was the smallest public university in Michigan.

Original Fort Buildings Still Stands Today

Today there are 14 original buildings still in operation on the campus of Lake Superior State University. These buildings are the row houses, Administration building, Fletcher Center, Brady Hall, South Hall, Brown Hall, East Hall and the Child Care Center.

 

Previous Stop:
Moving Uphill

Vision of 1st Place

Robotics Industries Association

First Place
Lake Superior State University

Automated Assembly of Seat Indexing Mechanisms

Other award recipients: Carnegie Mellon University, and a team comprised of students from University of Kentucky, University of Florida, and the Colorado School of Mines

1999 Robotics Industries Association: Robotics & Vision Show

May 11, 1999
International Scholarship Competition
Detroit, Mich.

Learn More...

-Computer Eng.
-Electrical Eng.
-Mfg. Eng. Tech.
-Mechanical Eng.

Apply Today!

Home » Fort Brady > Fort Brady History > Third Fort
Share this page with your friends: