Nancy (Braschayko) McNamara, a summa cum laude Laker Alumni from 2006 is attending the University of Michigan School of Medicine.
Officer's Recreation Center
The recreational center was used by soldiers for entertainment purposes. Once
the fort was converted to a university, the recreation center was used by students
for dances and sporting events, until it burned down. A storage facility now
stands in its place, used by students living on officer's row.
The fort library was used as a library for one year after the fort was converted to a campus for Sault Branch and then converted to married student apartments. After being housed in South Hall for many years, a new library building was built in 1971 and named after Dr. Kenneth Shouldice, who is credited with transforming Lake Superior State college into the University it is today.
The warehouses, hospital and machine shops were eventually replaced by the Cisler
Center, CANUSA Hall and CASET Building. After the fort was bought by the state
of Michigan the buildings were used for classrooms and storage facilities. The
machine shops were used for heavy machine laboratories and drawing laboratories
for engineering students. The hospital was used for chemistry, history, political
science and geology classes and offices.
South Hall's Twin & Cafeteria
The infantry barracks were composed of twin buildings, one of which burned down
in the early 1960's. Instead of rebuilding that section of the building a decision
was made to build Crawford Hall, a new facility that would be adequate for scientific
research. During the fire, the fort cafeteria, the structure connecting South
Hall to its twin, was also destroyed.
An auditorium was built for Fort Brady in 1939 for use as a classroom for troops
stationed there. The auditorium was used by the university until it was destroyed
by fire in the early 1960s. Crawford Hall was built in its place.